Saturday, October 30, 2010

the final countdown!

20 days.. that is all we have left in Chile now. It is quite unbelievable to think that almost 3 years ago we left our home in London with just a few suitcases, a baby and a toddler to stay for a few weeks in Santiago.  It has been amazing. A time of personal growth, of learning how to cope with difficult situations both from a physical and mental point of view. Both of us are so grateful of the opportunity that we have had to live out here and immerse ourselves in a culture so different to our own. Particularly that we have all been able to learn Spanish; now we have to keep it..

I am very interested to see how I will adapt back to the UK having been away now for so long. A big adjustment will be having no help at home, so I will be a much busier Mum, a challenge which I looking forward to and hope I can rise to. Of course my concern is what to do if I have a relapse, but I am looking positively and trusting that if God wants us to be in the UK that he will provide me with the coping mechanisms. At least my family will be only a car journey away and not a 20 hour, 2 plane trip away.

Speaking of planes, my brother is doing that trip now as I type, from Santiago to Uk, having been with us for the last 2 weeks. It has been really special to have the family here and we are very grateful that they were able to sneak in a visit before we finally leave. They have traveled independently both north and south of Santiago, as well as spending their weekends with us. I have noticed something very encouraging whilst they have been here, which is that I have been much calmer, more enthusiastic, more energetic and I haven't crashed after activity nearly as quickly as usual. It really feels like the adrenal gland supplements are working! In fact last night we went out to dinner at a particularly good Peruvian restaurant, I tasted Peruvian pisco sour, red wine and even had a cocktail of my own. We then danced until 3 am at a salsa bar, rolled home to bed and by 7am I was up making breakfast for the girls and feeling reasonably good! Today I seem to have had no side effects from the indulgence, which we have been amazed at. I am praying that nothing will go awry in the next few days..

So, I am sad that the family have left. I have fantastic memories of their time here, as do our children, and now it feels like our time really is closing in. I am excited about the move, but also apprehensive. I don't feel stressed yet, and hope it stays that way.. TM and stress don't mix!

No comments:

Post a Comment